Chan Buddhism & Meditation Classes
To practice Buddhism is to learn from the Buddha, to emulate his purity of body, speech, and mind. When we have achieved the highest and most perfect standard in our cultivation, we will attain the Buddha’s compassion, wisdom, and samadhi power.
— Grand Master Wei Chueh
Register Online or call (909)625-0187
Middle Land Chan Monastery offers weekly classes in the fundamentals of Zen Buddhism and meditation throughout the year. The classes and meditation sessions are given both in English and in Chinese.
There are beginning, advanced, and Sutra Study classes. Some of the topics covered in the classes include: the history of Zen Buddhism and the teachings of the Buddha such as “The Meaning of Zen,” “The Four Noble Truths,” “The Noble Eightfold Path,” “Six Paramitas/Perfections,” “Emptiness and the Middle Way,” and “The Principle of Causality.” Students who have completed the advanced classes can attend Sutra Study classes in which selected Buddhist Sutras are studied in greater depth.
In the meditation sessions, students are taught the different methods of meditation, namely breath counting, mindfulness of the breath, and middle way reality. The atmosphere is serene and conducive to quiet inner contemplation. Meditation needs expert guidance and discipline. The purpose of Zen meditation is to help us reach an understanding of the difficult problems in life and thereby gain true wisdom, clarity, and peace of mind. The way to achieve this is not by external analysis but by probing inward into our own minds.
The Schedule of Classes
Each session lasts approximately three months. Each class lasts two hours. During the first hour, students do sitting meditation and walking meditation. In the second hour students receive a lecture on Buddha’s teachings.
1. Beginning (Level 1) Chan / Zen Buddhism
- No Prerequisites
- Topics covered: Fundamental concepts of Theravada Buddhism, the Introduction of Mahayana Buddhism
2. Advanced (Level 2) Chan / Zen Buddhism
- Prerequisites: Level 1 Required
- Topics covered: The Gateway and Practices of Mahayana Buddhism
3. Sutra Study (Level 3) Chan / Zen Buddhism
- Prerequisites: Level 1 & 2 Required
- Topics covered: selected Buddhist scriptures such as The Heart Sutra and The Diamond Sutra.
4.Parent-Child Meditation Class
- No Prerequisites
- Kids’ meditation class welcomes all children in 1st through 5th grades. The curriculum includes meditation practice, Dharma talks, Buddhist/Chan stories, mind-developing activities, group discussions, and fun crafts. Through the class, kids learn to discover their inner wisdom, develop their potential, and nurture a positive and moral outlook on life. Parental participation is recommended.
5.Chinese Language Class-Learn Mandarin!
- Meditation Class Students Only
- Objectives: develop an enjoyment of learning Mandarin and Chinese culture.
- Curriculum: basic skills in listening, speaking, and writing Chinese, an introduction to traditional Chinese culture, virtues, arts, folk songs and food.
We sincerely invite everyone to join our meditation classes, to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere here, and to find the meaning of life through meditation practice and Dharma education.
Experience Chan (Zen) !
Come and join us in the new Chan (Zen) Buddhism classes!!
- Classes are taught by Abbess Jianxiang.
- All classes are FREE. We welcome and are supported by your generous donations.
- Dress code: Please wear comfortable, modest attire. Anti-skid socks are recommended. Optional meditation clothing may be obtained at the monastery.